Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pretty Pumpkins For Fall Weddings

Photo and Directions at Martha Stewart

Looking for some pumpkins that will make your tablescape pop? Visit the Fall Inspiration Boutique by Frugal With a Flourish for great ideas you can use to decorate your tables for your fall wedding.  Some are easy DIY projects other require a bit more crafting savvy.  No matter what your skill level is you're sure to find some great ideas.  I've posted my favorites, but visit their website to see additional ideas and links for tutorials.

The pumpkins with the holiday lights above are a Martha Stewart favorite.  My feeling about these, if you are good with holiday lights (I admit, I'm not. I buy new ones every year. I know, I know, I should be able to make them last for years but... somehow they never make it to  the next year without disaster occurring!) so this project was one of my least favorite.  Between managing not to mess up the lights and scraping out the interior of the pumpkin--ych! But the end product looks really nice and being able to vary the sizes and colors is a real plus.  My husband was way better at this one than I was (which is why he gets to do the Christmas lights every year), although even he wasn't thrilled with scooping out the guts of the pumpkin.  Using his drill to put the holes in the pumpkin was another thing entirely--the man loves his power tools!


Having a wedding closer to Thanksgiving? Try these lentil covered pumpkins from HGTV mixed with candles with a ring of lentils circling them as well-the perfect late fall tablescape! Be sure to check with your venue and see if they allow open flames on your tables! 

This project was easy to do (even for the DIY  challenged).  Even if you aren't having a fall wedding they are great for fall decorating.  You could also cover your tapers about 1/3 of the way up with lentils--they work on almost anything. 


Want to dazzle your guests? Try this bedazzled white pumpkin complete with a glittery spider.   This fake pumpkin is easy to make (see directions here) and since it's made with a fake pumpkin it's easy to do ahead of time for a Halloween wedding.  You can paint the pumpkin other colors or just decorate the pumpkins and leave off the spider if you have queasy guests who might not want to dine with a large spider staring at them(even if it is obviously fake). 


The gilded pumpkins above are my favorites.  The best part? Everything you need (except the pumpkin) comes in a kit by Caromal Colours.  The gilding in the kit can be used on fruit like pears as well, so consider thinking outside the box and not just limiting yourself to pumpkins or gourds.  If you're planning on making these for a wedding, get some practice time in first and be sure to have enough kits on hand to complete the number of pieces you need for your wedding.  The worst thing would be to run out of gilding and not be able to get it in time for your wedding.  This makes a great DIY project for your bridesmaids or family members to help you out with (or even your groom if he's good at crafts).  Since most of you know I test out these for how easy this craft is, I'll tell you, this was the most difficult of the pumpkin crafts shown, but by far the best looking in the end.  I assigned my husband (The Wedding King) to do the base coats since he took one look at the gold leaf and was positive it was going to be difficult.  I admit, the first two were ... well...let's just say I hadn't mastered the art--AT ALL! LOL.  But by the third try I had it down.  I started out working on small pumpkins but this might actually be easier using a fruit like pears that don't have so many valleys to get in and out of.  But it's well worth giving it a try.  Also since I had to test these, it means I don't need to do too much work for Halloween this year!

No comments: